Friday, September 11, 2009

Pathetic Addictions

So, I wanted to make a post today, while I'm doing nothing, and the only thing I can think about is my pathetic addiction to the television.

Last night, as I was talking to a rather new friend and giving him the classic "brb," I realized that I am pathetically addicted to TV. I've known this for a while, but it never really seemed entirely pathetic until that very moment in time.

Big Brother was on at 8PM and Supernatural Premiered at 9. Monk and Psych on Fridays. Desperate Housewives on Sundays. Criminal Minds on Tuesdays. Wednesdays belong to NCIS. (or perhaps those last two are vise versa.) Regardless of the schedules, TV is a big part of my week, and sometimes it's all that gets me through the day.

Perhaps it's because I live in the middle of no where and have few friends. Maybe it's because I'm too cheap to go out every night; too poor to blow money on things I can't rationalize that I need. Or maybe I'm just plain pathetic. Whatever the reasoning, my obsession is not with purses, clothes, makeup, trading cards, knickknacks, collectibles, or anything like that; my biggest obsession is with the boob-tube.

I love watching TV, and will openly argue with anyone who says that it "rots the brains." Sure not all shows are complex and inquisitive. And sure, some shows do not capture the interests of all people, but I can't even fathom my brain to be rotting when I am delving so deep into characters, plots, and action.

Watching TV has brought me into the writing world, as an author. All the things I've learned in English class, have been present in the shows I love. By watching, and rewatching, their stories unfold on TV, I have seen irony, foreshadowing, and other literary devices one might encounter in a book. And having such a passion for the actors, it really (and obviously) makes the stories come to life. After all, isn't watching TV like reading a book for imaginatively-impaired?

No, my imagination is not dead. Perhaps corrupted by the instant-gratification society in which we live, but my imagination is not dead. I am highly creative individual who is great at problem solving, as well as thinking out side the box. Maybe I can't read about Joan of Arc, or Tolkien's mighty Aragorn, because I get bored staring at words in a book, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a great story when it's read to me--or played out on the big screen.

So, what's my point? I don't know. Maybe I'm pathetically addicted to TV and am simply rambling on to justify said addiction; or maybe I'm thinking outside of the box. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment